Friday, January 30, 2009

Scary Moment

This morning started out innocently enough. Sadie and I were taking our time getting ready to go to her One Year check up with Dr. Shah. Everything was going great until while getting Sadie dressed I turned my back for a moment and Sadie fell. And she fell HARD. She was on top of her changing table. It is about 4 feet tall. At the time it happened I thought she landed on her head but after closer examination she fell on her shoulder and then her head bounced off the floor.

Needless to say I was a bit panicked. I do have to say that I think I kept it together fairly well. I called Steve immediately and told him what happened and that I tested her eyes. no dilation. And she kept wanting to go to sleep. So instantly I knew she had a concusion. I tried to calm her down but I knew I couldn't let her go to sleep. So I called my good friend Stephanie for some advice. She agreed that it sounded like a concusion and that we needed to get her to the Urgent care. I told her that I had an appointment with her Dr. at 9am that morning so she suggested I call them right away and see if she can come in now.

I called Dr. Shah and they agreed we needed to get her in. So I loaded Sadie up. I was nervous about her going to sleep, although it was her nap time anyway. I just couldn't be sure if it was nap sleep or concusion sleep. So I turned on my vent in the car and tried to keep her awake. Half way there I realized I had her O's in her bag so I started giving her Cheerios and she was fine.

We got to the Dr office and she was alert and playing so they said we'd wait until her appointment at 9am. Steve got there and Sadie and Steve played outside until it was time for her visit. The Dr checked her out and said she was fine. She also lost some weight (due to all the running) but the Dr said that was normal. She is 29 3/4" tall and she got her 12 month shots. Poor baby. It was a very long and stressful day for all of us.

Here is a picture of her after the appointment

Daddy lovin' on Sadie when he got home.


This is the side of her head that she landed on. You can't see it very well but she has a bruise right at the end of her eyebrow.

0 comments: