Monday, February 13, 2012

Our Scare

** warning: this post contains graphic baby/woman information**

Well Monday afternoon late I stood up from the chair in the living room and starting leaking. I immediately went into the bathroom and called Steve.  His response "I'm not a doctor I have no idea.  call them"  Duh!

(A little back ground history here...when I was pregnant with Sadie I was induced  so my water never broke on it's own.  So I wasn't sure what to expect.)

I called my doctor and they said to get over to the hospital so they can run tests.  So off we went.  We dropped Sadie off at the Fieldsteds (thank goodness for them) and we were off.  We got to the hospital and went right up to labor and delivery.  They ran a test to determine if it was ambiotic fluid.  And the test came back postitive.  Not a good sign.  So they ran another test and we waited.  They ordered an ultrasound and 24 hr monitoring.  Now baby monitoring is normally very simple but since there were two babies they had to keep track of both separately.  Twins are hard to keep track of.  Especially when you have kids that don't like ultrasounds or like to be monitored.  They literally kept the nurses hoping.

The ultrasound happened later that day and the results were encouraging the fluid levels looked normal. But they wanted to monitor me for another 48 hours to make sure the levels didn't go down. In the meantime they started me on antibotics and a steriod for the babies in case they delivered early it would help with their lung development. (that shot hurt!!!)


The next day was Valentines Day so Steve and Sadie came up and brought things for us to make for Sadie's preschool group.  A mother's job is never done.  Even while in the hospital.  So we made Rolo butterfly valentines for her friends.

So on the 15th in the late afternoon they gave me another ultrasound and the levels actually had increased.  So the good news was the fluid levels were just fine.  I had stopped leaking by then but I was only getting up to go to the bathroom.  So I was released to go home on a few conditions. 

1. I had to take my temperature twice a day to make sure I didn't start getting a fever.  That would indicate an infection.

2. I had to limit my activity.  I wasn't on strict bed rest but I couldn't walk around alot and I was not able to lift anything heavy.

3. I had to go to the doctor's office once a week for a check up and blood work.

So I went home.  I was very lucky. 

0 comments: