Sunday, November 4, 2007

Food Glorious Food!

Well I met with the diabetes nurse coordinator on Friday morning. I watched a movie about gestional diabetes and met with the nurse and went over what I should be doing. Bascially I am a restricted carbohydrates diet. Which I knew was going to happen. Yesterday was the first full day with the new regime and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I did however end up drinking more water, if that is even possible. Basically I am allowed 15 gms of carbs for breakfast, 45-60 gms for lunch and dinner and I'm allowed two snacks of 15 gms plus a protein. I am supposed to try and not have a snack in the morning, but in the afternoon and evening time. Which that part I'm having a hard time with. I'm not a big snack before bedtime person but I do get major hungry around 10am or so. That's going to be the biggest adjustment I think, besides the small portion of carbs for breakfast. I just have to find the right combination of foods to fill me up for the same amount of carbs.

For example yesterday I had 1/3 cup Honey Nut Cheerios and 1/4 cup milk for breakfast. That's it. I was so shocked at the portion size I even took a picture for my records. But today I was able to have three 3 eggs and a slice of toast. Eggs are free no carbs, so all my carbs came from the piece of whole wheat toast I had. I am a lot fuller this morning than I was yesterday.

I finished one of Sadie's afghans yesterday. It turned out really cute. It's just pink and simple. No fancy patterns for this girl just a simple single crochet. But I did add a bit of flair and put fun fur around the edges so she has something to tickle her nose with. This blanket is for the car seat and no it's not going under her it's just for covering her up with when we go out. It's not very big just big enough for the car seat. I am still working on the bigger afghan. I'm making 12 squares of 6 different colors and crocheting them together. It will look cute (I hope) when it's all through. I still have 6 squares to go.

This week we start our birthing classes. I'm really excited about it. Although the diabetes nurse said I will more than likely end up having a c-section because of my size and the fact that I have gestional diabetes which if not controlled can cause the baby to be really large. I'm hoping that I can still try and have her natural but that may not be the case. Because I'm controlling my diabetes. We are hopefully going to go and tour the facility this week too and get pre-registered. Everything is happening very quickly now and I'm starting to get a little nervous. But I think I will feel a lot better after the birthing classes and I have a little bit more insight to what is going to happen. I have two baby showers this next weekend so we will have more of an idea of what we will need to get. So I will feel a bit more prepared...I think that is one of my biggest problems right now is I don't have a lot of stuff and I'm not feeling prepared yet.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as the next couple of months are going to be a challenge for me with the diabetes. And I'll keep you posted of my progress.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tams,
Just think how far you've come! Dont worry about the small stuff. They told me about a week before Jeff was due that he was going to be a 9-10 pound baby. My first thought was NOT HAPPENING! Then after things got moving along during my labor it was fine. Remember he weighed 9lb 14oz? Thankfully Alyssa was much smaller!

I'm glad you guys are taking the birthing classes. They really helped me a lot! The tour is helpful as well. We all know Steve will be in the panic mode when the time comes! lol (No offense lil Bro....but I remember how you panicked when you thought I was going into labor at the mall...lol)

Not much longer and Sadie will be keeping you up all night and entertained!

Love ya

Karina